Welcome to the Institut de Ciències del Mar (Institute of Marine Sciences) in Barcelona. This CSIC’s Natural Resources Area Institute was established in 1951 as the Instituto de Investigaciones Pesqueras (Fisheries Research Institute), and located on the Sant Sebastià beach in Barcelona’s Barceloneta District since 1959. Through its more than 50 years of existence, the ICM has never ceased to expand and advance. At the same time it has undergone a series of changes, such as the inclusion of a Marine Geology Section, the name change to ICM in 1987 and the recent transfer to its new headquarters building as part of the CMIMA. The Institute’s protracted experience and its human resources, with a staff of more than 150 members, which covers most of the fields of oceanographic research (physical and chemical oceanography, geology and biology), give it a global vision of marine ecosystems and the ability to assess the impact of man on the environment and seek appropriate solutions. The goal of the ICM consists on furthering and expanding our scientific understanding of the seas and oceans and on discovering their role in the context of our planet.
The ICM, one of the leading marine research centres in Spain and in the Mediterranean region, is formed by four Departments, Technical Services and Marine Station. You can see more info about us in our webpage: http://www.icm.csic.es/en/
ICM is located in Barcelona’s Barceloneta District between the Hospital del Mar and the Olympic Towers. To reach ICM, you can use:
- Bus: The end of the lines 10, 45, 57, 59, 71, 92 and 157 are a few meters from the ICM.
- Underground (Metro): The L4 line (yellow line) has a station (Ciutadella-Vila Olímpica) 300 metres from the ICM.
If you come from outside Barcelona arriving by:
- Car: Use the Ronda del Litoral. Towards Bessós (north) take exit 21. Towards Llobregat (south) take exit 22.
- Train (RENFE): Get off at one of these stations: Sants Estació, Clot, Passeig de Gràcia. And take the underground L4 line (yellow line) to Ciutadella-Vila Olímpica station.
- Train (Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat, FGCC): Get off at Plaça Catalunya station, and take the 59 bus or the underground.
- Airplane: Directly from the Airport one may take train, bus or taxi.